Delivering physical intervention training? Have you got the right insurance? 

Andrew Tyrrell, Sales and Marketing Director at Peter Hattersley and Partners (PHP)Chartered Insurance Brokers, answers some of the most frequently asked questions from physical interventions trainers about their insurance cover.

Conflict Protect is PHP's scheme for the conflict management and physical interventions skills sector. 

What insurance cover do I need to be able to deliver physical interventions training?
You will require as a minimum Public Liability and Professional Indemnity Insurance.

What are the differences between these areas of cover?
Public Liability covers your legal liability for bodily injury to third parties and damage to their property. Professional Indemnity covers your legal liability to pay compensation to a third party who makes a claim against you for professional negligence or breach of a professional duty of care.

Two million pounds for Public Liability seems a very high level of cover – why does it have to be so much?
£1,000,000 limit is standard and considered a sensible minimum limit to hold. Legal defence costs quickly accumulate when things are alleged to have gone wrong. However, in order that you comply with the SIA guidelines you will need at least the £2,000,000 limit.

I’m self employed – do I need Employers’ Liability cover?
Most likely not.  However this area of the law may not be straight forward.  Where you are deemed to hold a master servant relationship with you being the former, there is a strong probability you need this cover. The contract terms you enter into are also important to consider here. (See next question)

If an organisation is delivering training using a non-employed trainer, who needs to have the insurance?
This issue is similar to the earlier one about self employed status. The basis of the contract is again important to consider. Typically, a contract for service versus a contract of service will help clarify this.

What could happen if I don’t have the right cover?
There are policies on offer within the UK, which may not provide cover if an injury takes place outside the classroom, leading to blame, which can be traced back to the training provider, YOU. This can result in legal action, which if not covered sufficiently could cost the trainer thousands of pounds. Conflict Protect provides cover for the unique risks your industry faces.

How can I accurately compare the offers from insurance companies?
If your policy does not specifically mention Conflict Management and Physical Intervention training then you may not have the right cover. Beware of buying a policy which describes you as a ‘trainer or training providers’ as the small print may take out the most critical areas of cover!        

Is it ever worth paying more than I need to? Can I safely just opt for the cheapest quote if it matches the requirements?
Buying a policy with the cheapest quote may not provide the necessary covers that are unique to your industry. The devil is in the detail. That is why Conflict Protect have been specialists in this sector since 2006.

I don’t deliver PI training very often. Do I still need the same level of cover?
Yes. The guidelines of insurance limits regarding physical intervention training are stated on the SIA website.

I’m a sole trader, can I get a discount?
Conflict Protect offers a £100 discount for sole traders on all policies.

Can I pay in instalments?
Instalment facilities are available; you should contact Conflict Protect to discuss the terms of credit.

Are there any steps I can take to reduce my premium?
There are various options on our website depending on the limits of indemnity selected.

Are there any circumstances when a policy would not pay out?
Insurance policies are contracts where each party agrees to do and not do certain things, just as with normal contracts. So the reality is that things often go wrong when the facts are not disclosed at that start of the policy or when changes are not notified to insurers during the policy. Being clear about your business activities and ensuring your policy has a clear description of your activities is vital.


Posted by Maybo on July 11, 2012


Please note: All comments are reviewed before being displayed on our website.